The history of the Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics
1952 As a result of the Higher Education Ministerial Resolution of 12 July, 1952, the Faculty of Communications of Gdańsk University of Technology is called into being. Professor Łukasz Dorosz, the Dean of Faculty of Electrical Engineering, is appointed the Faculty organizer. Deputy Professor Wiktor Szukszta becomes the Faculty Dean.
1955 Deputy Professor Tadeusz Karolczak becomes the Faculty Dean.
1956 Deputy Professor Tadeusz Karolczak is elected by the Faculty Council for a further two years of office.
1958 Professor Józef Lenkowski becomes the Faculty Dean for the following 3 terms of office.
1960 The Economic Committee of the Polish People’s Republic Council of Ministers grants finance for the construction of a new faculty building. Professor Józef Sałaciński is appointed coordinator of the building construction works.
1964 Professor Jerzy Seidler becomes the Faculty Dean.
1965 The Faculty is granted the right to confer a doctoral degree in technical sciences. Walerian Gruszczyński receives the first PhD title in technical sciences in the Faculty.
1966 Professor Józef Sałaciński becomes the Faculty Dean and changes its name into Faculty of Electronics.
1967 Professor Józef Sałaciński resigns from the function of Dean. Prof. Wiktor Szukszta becomes the Faculty Dean for a period of one year.
1968 Professor Krzysztof Grabowski is appointed the Faculty Dean for a 3-year term of office. Professor Jerzy Seidler organizes the PhD Studies of Technical Cybernetics. Dr Zenon Boguś becomes its Manager.
1969 First part of the new Electronics Faculty building is open for use. Three Institutes are formed from the departments existing so far: Technical Cybernetics, with Prof. Jerzy Seidler as its Director, Electronic Technology with Prof. Józef Sałaciński and the Department of Radio Communications with Dr Marian Zientalski.
1970 The Faculty manages to purchase Student’s Dormitory no. 9 for the purpose of accommodating its students.
1971 Professor Józef Sałaciński becomes the Faculty Dean for a period of one year.
1972 Another part of the new building of the Electronics Department is open for use. Professor Marian Zientalski becomes the faculty Dean for the following 3-year term of office. Two large lecture theatres are open for use.
1974 The Department of Electronics and Telecommunications starts its education programmes.
1975 Professor Michał Białko becomes the faculty Dean for the following 6 years. The Faculty is granted the right to confer the habilitation degree (DSc). Dr Andrzej Guziński gains the first DSc degree conferred by the Faculty. Professor Janusz Groszkowski is granted the title of Honorary Doctoral Degree. A new field of study at the Faculty opens – Informatics.
1976 Professor Michał Białko becomes Informatics Institute Director.
1979 Dr Walerian Gruszczyński becomes Electronics Technology Institute Director.
1980 Dr Bogdan Wilamowski becomes the Electronic Technology Institute Director and Dr Janusz Nowakowski becomes Informatics Institute Director.
1981 Professor Wojciech Sobczak becomes Dean for a period of 6 years.
1983 Dr Stefan Raczyński becomes Electronic Technology Institute Director.
1987 Professor Marian Zientalski becomes the Faculty Dean for a period of 3 years. Professor Krzysztof Grabowski becomes the Telecommunication Institute Director.
1989 Professor Henryk Wierzba at the Oulu University (Finland) and Professor Józef Sałaciński at the Dresden University (German Democratic Republic) are conferred Honorary Doctor degrees.
1990 Professor Henryk Krawczyk becomes the Faculty Dean.
1991 Upon the Faculty Council’s application, Prof. Dieter A. Mlynski from the University of Karlsruhe is conferred the Honorary Doctoral Degree of Gdańsk University of Technology. A new field of study at the Faculty opens – Automatic Control and Robotics .
1992 The Faculty Institutes are liquidated, and since that time the Faculty consists of 16 Departments.
1993 Professor Henryk Krawczyk is reappointed Dean of the Faculty.
1994 New doctoral studies are called into being at the Faculty. The manager becomes Professor Michał Białko. Prof. Zenon Jagodziński at the University of Surrey (England) is conferred the Honorary Doctoral Degree.
1995 The Faculty changes its name into Faculty of Electronics, Telecommunications and Informatics. Professor Michał Białko is distinguished with the Honorary Doctoral Degree at the University of Toulouse (France).
1996 Dr Józef Woźniak is elected the Faculty Dean.
1997 Professor Wojciech Sobczak becomes the Faculty Doctoral Studies Manager.
1999 Dr Józef Woźniak is re-elected the Faculty Dean.
2000 Professor Andrzej Czyżewski takes over the function of the Faculty Doctoral Studies Manager.
2001 AGH University of Science and Technology in Cracow confers the Honorary Doctoral Degree to Professor Jerzy Seidler.
2002 Professor Henryk Krawczyk becomes the Faculty Dean.
2004 A building stone was ceremonially built into the New Faculty building on 5 October.
2005 Professor Henryk Krawczyk is re-elected the Faculty Dean.
2007 Professor Henryk Krawczyk becomes PAN (Polish Academy of Sciences) Corresponding Member.
2008 The Ceremony of conferring the Honorary Doctor Degree of the Gdańsk University of Technology to Professor Michał Białko and Professor Jan Węglarz takes place, which is connected with the opening of the new Faculty building. Professor Henryk Krawczyk is elected Rector of Gdańsk University of Technology as first Faculty representative who was appointed to this function. A new field of study at the Faculty opens – Biomedical Engineering. Professor Henryk Krawczyk becomes the Rector of Gdańsk University of Technology. Professor Krzysztof Goczyła becomes the Faculty Dean.
2009 Pomeranian ICT Cluster is created on the initiative of the Faculty. Classes for high school students start and are conducted within the frames of “ETI Academy”.
2010 Thorough refurbishment of the old Faculty building is completed.
2012 Thorough modernization works of Auditorium 1 of the old Faculty building are completed. The Faculty celebrates its 60th anniversary.
2013 Professor Bożena Kostek and Professor Michał Mrozowski become PAN (Polish Academy of Sciences) Corresponding Members
2014 Immersive 3D Visualization Laboratory is opened
2015 The Faculty obtaines accreditation for its Informatics study at the bachelor’s and master’s levels from the Accreditation Commision of Universities of Technology.
2016 Prof. Jerzy Wtorek becomes the Dean of the Faculty.
2017 The Faculty opens new fields of study: an interdisciplinary master’s level field of study: Space & Satellite Technologies together with Gdynia Maritime University and Polish Naval Academy in Gdynia and an interfaculty bachelor’s level field of study: Data Engineering together with the Faculty of Management and Economics, Gdansk University of Technology
The Faculty celebrates its 65th anniversary.
Granting the highest A+ category to the Faculty of ETI by the Ministry of Science of Higher Education.